Follow us on Facebook
It's Your Life
Follow us on Twitter
Click on the map to select a
State or Territory
select from the box below
View Website View Website View Website

Eligibility and Assessment to enter Residential Aged Care Homes (Nursing Homes and Hostels) in Australia

Before you can access government subsidized residential aged care or residential respite care, you first need to be assessed to confirm your eligibility.

The assessment will be carried out by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), which is called an Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) in Victoria.

There is no charge for an ACAT assessment.

ACATs usually comprise or include local doctors, nurses, social workers and other health professionals.

A member of your local ACAT can come to your home to discuss your situation. If you are in hospital, they can also come to see you there. They will discuss your general state of health, your specific health conditions and your day to day living arrangements and activities. They may also want to talk to your doctor or other health professionals to better understand your medical issues and history.

After your assessment, you will be advised in writing whether you have been approved to receive subsidized services. You will also be advised how you can appeal if you are unhappy with your assessment.

Even if you are not eligible for residential aged care or residential respite care, the ACAT may find that you are eligible to receive help at home with a government subsidized home care package or it may be able to suggest other options, such as help at home under the Home and Community Care (HACC) program, which does not require a formal ACAT assessment.

The Department of Social Services has created a very useful ACAT Finder you can use to find your local ACAT. You can also call the contact centre on 1800 200 422.

More Information?

This Aged Care Guide comprises the following pages:

  1. Overview

  2. Eligibility and Assessment

  3. Fees and Charges

  4. Accreditation Standards and Compliance

  5. Resident Rights and Responsibilities

  6. Residential Respite Care

  7. Advocacy and Complaint Resolution

© iSeniority Contact Us   |   Client Information   |  Terminology   |   Terms of Use   |   Privacy  |   Sitemap
Queensland Northern Territory Western Australia South Australia Tasmania Victoria Australian Capital Territory New South Wales